Nicola Sturgeon urges younger people to consider ‘how necessary’ nights out are as infection rate rises
New figures released by the Scottish government on Friday afternoon showed that there were 30 new cases of the virus identified in the preceding 24 hours.
The number of new cases is almost double the 17 announced on Thursday.
No deaths were registered of people who tested positive for the virus for the 15th day in a row, with the total remaining at 2,491.
In an impromptu press conference, Ms Sturgeon said that around half of all the people who have tested positive for the virus in the last week have been aged between 20 and 39, warning younger Scots against “complacency”.
“That’s something we’ve seen in other parts of the world recently,” Ms Sturgeon said, “younger age groups, perhaps people more likely to go to pubs and restaurants and eat buffets are testing positive in higher numbers.”
“And it is natural after all this time to want to socialise and to catch up with people, but these figures should be a reason for caution.”
“I urge everyone, particularly people in their 20s and 30s, not to be complacent and to please follow all of the rules. It is there for a very clear and important purpose.”
She added: “For those activities which we are now allowed to do, like going to pubs indoors. I’d ask you to think how necessary these nights out are and how frequently you might want to go on them.
“I’m not saying absolutely don’t go. But there is a need for all of us right now to think about the wisdom of things that we’re doing.
“Just because something is allowed doesn’t mean we should do it as often as we would have done it pre-Covid.”
The First Minister reiterated that rules on indoor meetings “apply in pubs and restaurants as well, and you should not be meeting more than two other households inside a pub or a restaurant.”
Ms Sturgeon also told Scots not to travel to the North West of England, amid a spike in cases of coronavirus in the region.
Last night the UK government reimposed some lockdown restrictions across Greater Manchester, parts of east Lancashire and West Yorkshire, citing concerns over the number of new Covid-19 infections.
Announcing the lockdown on Twitter last night, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said people in the region would be banned from meeting each other indoors from midnight.
Ms Sturgeon said: “We have always been clear that localised flare ups are likely as we continue to suppress the virus but by responding quickly and appropriately we can limit the effect these have on wider transmission.
“I strongly advise anyone planning to travel to areas affected in the north of England, or anyone planning to travel to Scotland from those same areas, to cancel their plans.
“Anyone whose travel is essential should follow public health advice at all times including the FACTS guidance and remain extra vigilant in monitoring for symptoms.”
The North West England restrictions apply to Greater Manchester, including the City of Manchester, Trafford, Stockport, Oldham, Bury, Wigan, Bolton, Tameside, Rochdale and Salford.
They also apply to Blackburn with Darwen, Burnley, Hyndburn, Pendle and Rossendale in Lancashire, and Bradford, Calderdale and Kirklees in West Yorkshire.
Similar restrictions will also apply to Leicester, which saw the first so-called “local lockdown” imposed on June 29.
A message from the Editor
Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism.
By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.
Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.