Roblox: why did the gaming platform stop working, when did it come back online - and is it shutting down?

People reported on social media platforms that Roblox went down on Thursday 28 October

The popular gaming website Roblox has been experiencing issues over the weekend, with users unable to login and use the site, but it now seems to be working again.

But why did the gaming website go down and what caused it?

Sign up to our NationalWorld Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Here’s what you need to know.

What happened to Roblox?

People reported on social media platforms that Roblox went down on Thursday (28 October).

Players were unable to access their Roblox accounts, with thousands of users taking to social media to report issues.

There had previously been some login issues on the platform, but the problem was not as widespread and problematic.

The issues then continued over the weekend.

What caused the website problems?

More than 48 hours after it first went offline, Roblox’s investigation team had said it has discovered the “underlying internal cause” of the outage.

It later said that “the failure was caused by the growth in the number of servers in our datacenters”, with this resulting in “most services at Roblox” being “unable to effectively communicate and deploy”.

When will it be back online?

Roblox is now back online everywhere.

The company tweeted on Sunday night (31 October): “Roblox is back online everywhere! Thank you for your continued patience as we get back to normal.”

The outage was Roblox’s longest ever.

Earlier on, Roblox had said on Twitter: “We’re in the process of performing the necessary engineering and maintenance work to get Roblox back up and running ASAP. Thanks for your patience.”

Is it shutting down?

The game’s outage had been so lengthy, that some were speculating that Roblox may never come back online, and may have shut down for good.

However, there are no reports that this is the case, and since the platform remains incredibly popular around the world, it seems unlikely it would just be taken offline permanently with no warning.

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going. You can also sign up to our newsletters and get a curated selection of our best reads to your inbox every day.