Boy, 17, killed in street knife attack horror

A TEENAGER was stabbed to death outside a community centre today after getting into an argument with another youth.

The 17-year-old was stabbed in the chest and stomach after the fight broke out on a city housing estate at around 1am.

The youngster, who has not been named, was rushed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, but died a short time later from his injuries.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The knifing happened on the road outside Pilton Elderly Project community centre on the corner of West Pilton Gardens and West Pilton Grove.

Police had today cordoned off several streets around the crime scene and no-one was able to get in or out of the area.

Forensic officers were going through the crime scene in bid to uncover vital clues to catch the killer.

Dozens of police officers were carrying out door-to-door inquiries and an incident centre was set up as a murder hunt was launched.

A Police spokesman said: "We were called following reports of a teenager having received serious injuries following a disturbance in West Pilton Grove in the early hours of this morning.

"The 17-year-old was taken to Edinburgh's Royal Infirmary hospital after the incident where he died a short time later. The death is being treated as suspicious.

"An incident room has been set up in Drylaw Police station and we would appeal to anyone who may have been in the area at the time or who saw or heard anything to come forward."

Anyone with information can contact Lothian and Borders Police on 0131-311 3131.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

• A man who stabbed his pal to death after a row about a piece of cannabis has been jailed for life.

The body of Sean Steedman, 37, was found in his Edinburgh home after worried friends put a ladder up to his window and saw him lying in a pool of blood.

Alexander Barclay, 45, handed himself in to police when the news reached him and yesterday he pleaded guilty to murder.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard that Barclay had inflicted a dozen stab wounds of varying seriousness to Mr Steedman's chest.

"The stab wounds showed this was a frenzied and violent attack" said judge Lord Brailsford, ordering Barclay to serve at least 12 years of his life sentence before he could apply for parole.

Advocate depute Angela Grahame, prosecuting, said both men had alcohol problems and used to drink together.

Mr Steedman of Calder Drive, Edinburgh, was in Barclay's flat, also in Calder Drive, on July 11, with others, drinking and smoking cannabis.

After a row about a piece of cannabis everyone except Barclay left.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ms Grahame told how Barclay later arrived at his nephew's home in the early hours of the morning and announced: "I have just murdered somebody."

Barclay dumped blood-stained clothing in a rubbish chute and threw his knife into the Union Canal but later that day broke down and told his girlfriend he thought he had murdered someone.

She went to Mr Steedman's home to find anxious friends were already trying to find out what had happened to him.

When girlfriend Moira Meldrum brought the news back to Barclay, he said: "Oh my God, what have I done? That's my pal." Then he went to police.

Solicitor advocate Ray Megson, defending, said Barclay was an alcoholic who also dabbled in amphetamine, heroin, crack cocaine and cannabis.

On the day of the murder he had been drinking since 9am and what happened was still "a bit of a blur" said the lawyer. Barclay regarded Mr Steedman as one of his best friends, he added.

Lord Brailsford said it was a warning to others to avoid abusing alcohol when it could lead to events such as this.

Related topics: