Asda Redditch stabbing: boy, 14, appears in court charged with murder of 53-year-old man outside store

A teenager appeared in court after the death of a 53-year-old man outside an Asda supermarket

A 14-year-old boy has appeared in court charged with murder after the fatal stabbing of a man outside an Asda supermarket.

West Mercia Police said Ian Kirwan, 53, was attacked on Jinnah Road in Redditch, Worcestershire, at about 7.20pm on Tuesday.

The supermarket has since re-opened and officers are maintaining a highly visible presence in Redditch, the force added.

Police at the scene in Redditch following the death of a 53 year old man outside the Asda supermarket on Jinnah Road.

What happened during the court hearing?

Appearing at Kidderminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday, the teenage suspect, from Birmingham, spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address during a short hearing.

He was not required to enter a plea to the charge.

The suspect, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was remanded into youth detention to appear at Worcester Crown Court on Monday.

Eleven youths in total were arrested in connection with the incident. Two youths, alongside the charged suspect, remain in police custody.

Police said one has been released on bail and the other seven have been released with no further action.

What happened in Redditch?

Officers along with the West Midlands Ambulance attended the scene on Jinnah Road.

Despite the efforts of officers and paramedics who attended the scene, Mr Kirwan from Redditch, was pronounced dead.

Speaking earlier in the week a West Mercia Police spokesperson said: “Officers are currently offering Ian’s family their full support at this extremely difficult time.

“Safer Neighbourhood Officers have increased patrols in Redditch and will maintain a highly visible presence over the coming days.”

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesperson had said: “Two ambulances, two paramedic officers and two Midlands Air Ambulance Critical Care Cars attended the scene.

“On arrival we discovered a male patient who was in a critical condition.

“Ambulance staff administered advanced life support but sadly, despite their best efforts, it became apparent nothing could be done to save him and he was confirmed dead at the scene.”

The man was confirmed dead at the scene.

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going. You can also sign up to our email newsletters and get a curated selection of our best reads to your inbox every day.