Mum jailed after visiting partner and leaving son, 7, home alone before he was killed on road

Malakye, 7, was left “alone and vulnerable” in a house which had no electricity or gas, while she went to see her partner

The mum of a seven-year-old Yorkshire boy, who was knocked down and killed after he had been left “home alone”, has been jailed for neglecting him.

A court heard how Wendy Hall’s son Malakye got out of their locked home in Bradford on the night of August 11, 2021 and at about 10pm he was hit by a car and fatally injured.

Sign up to our NationalWorld Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

No gas or electricity

Hall, 33, had left him at the house, which had no electricity or gas, while she went to see her partner, reports Yorkshire Post.

Bradford Crown Court heard that Hall had left her mobile phone with Malakye for him to play on while she was away, but it appeared that he got out of the house shortly after she left.

When a police officer came across the scene of the fatal collision the damaged phone was found in the boy’s possession and inquiries led them to the house, which was in darkness with the door open.

Mum traced to partner’s house

Hall was subsequently traced to her partner’s home and she was taken to the Bradford Royal Infirmary to identify her son’s body.

Prosecutor Abigail Langford said when Hall was interviewed the next day she admitted leaving Malakye at home on his own.

“She told officers she had left the door to the premises locked so that Malakye could not go out,” said Miss Langford.

The court heard Hall had moved from the address to live with her sister but had gone back there to pick up some belongings intending to take her son to her partner’s - but the boy changed his mind about going.

‘Deliberate disregard for welfare’

“She said she did not think Malakye could use the bolt on the back door,” said Miss Langford.

“The Crown say this was a deliberate disregard for the welfare of Malakye. A deliberate decision to leave him in a house which had no electricity or gas.”

Hall pleaded guilty to the neglect charge and was jailed for four-and-a-half years.

Solicitor advocate Saf Salam, for Hall, said she had left Lindley Road two or three weeks before the death of her son.

Mr Salam said Hall, who had no previous convictions, had been diagnosed with a bipolar disorder and had suffered from depression and anxiety since her teens.

He submitted that Hall’s culpability could be reduced due to her mental disorder.

‘Alone and vulnerable’

“The police found your mobile phone in Malakye’s clothing and you were to say you had given it to him so he could play on it while he was alone in that house which had no electricity or no gas,” Recorder Tahir Khan QC told Hall.

“I’ve no reason to doubt you locked the door to stop him getting out but as we know he did with those tragic consequences.

“This is category one harm in my judgement.

“The deliberate act of leaving Malakye alone and vulnerable resulted in his death.”

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.