Detectives investigating the murder of primary school teacher Sabina Nessa have arrested a 38-year-old man in what Scotland Yard hailed a “significant development” in the case.
The Metropolitan Police said the suspect was arrested at around 3am on Sunday (26 September) morning and is now being held in custody.
At a glance: 5 key points
- CCTV images were released on Thursday (23 September) of a man investigators urgently wished to speak to, plus one of a silver car they believed he had access to.
- On Saturday, the Met said that the balding man is believed to have been carrying a reflective red object that he may have been trying to conceal up his sleeve.
- He was captured on CCTV as he walked through Pegler Square in Kidbrooke, south-east London, where Ms Nessa had been heading on the night she died.
- Scotland Yard has not confirmed if the suspect arrested is the man in the footage, but it is understood that investigators are no longer looking for him.
What have police said?
Detective Chief Inspector Neil John, from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, said: “Sabina’s family have been informed of this significant development and they continue to be supported by specialist officers.”
What is known about the attack?
Ms Nessa, 28, had been walking to meet a friend at a pub just a five-minute walk from her home when she was attacked in Cator Park, Kidbrooke, on 17 September.
Her body was discovered by a member of the public the following day under a pile of leaves off a footpath in the park.
Two men were separately arrested on suspicion of her murder, but were later released under investigation.
Hundreds of mourners attended a candlelit vigil in memory of the 28-year-old, who taught at Rushey Green Primary School, on Friday (24 September) evening, including tearful relatives.
Jebina Yasmin Islam, Ms Nessa’s sister, broke down as she addressed crowds to pay tribute.
She said: “Words cannot describe how we are feeling, this feels like we are stuck in a bad dream and can’t get out of it – our world is shattered, we are simply lost for words.
“No family should go through what we are going through.”
Her death has sparked concerns among the public for women’s safety.
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going. You can also sign up to our newsletters and get a curated selection of our best reads to your inbox every day.