Poll: 'Growing' majority of Scots now back independence

A growing majority of Scots now support independence, according to a new poll.
A majority of Scots back independence, the poll findsA majority of Scots back independence, the poll finds
A majority of Scots back independence, the poll finds

It reveals that 54% would vote to leave the rest of the UK, while 46% would want to stay, in the event of another referendum.

The Panelbase survey for the Business for Scotland organisation surveyed 1070 Scottish residents over the age of 16.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Business for Scotland chair Rob Aberdein said: “It seems plain that this and other recent polls are showing that independence support is gaining momentum.

“With the end-of-June deadline for the UK Government to agree an extension to the Brexit transition period approaching, it may be that those who considered independence more favourably immediately following the Brexit vote may come back and help maintain that independence momentum as a hard Brexit becomes more of a realistic prospect in voters’ minds.”

The undecided voters amounted to 7%, but when they are factored in support for independence stands at 50%, while 43% want to remain in the UK.

It is the fifth Panelbase poll in succession which shows a lead for independence, with the most recent one putting support at 52%.

Surveys by other pollsters suggest Scots are more evenly split in the issue.

SNP depute leader Keith Brown MSP said: “Poll after poll now puts support for independence above 50 per cent. This is no longer a trend - majority support for independence is now the established position.“All efforts of the Scottish Government have rightly been focused on combating the current Covid crisis but, where Nicola Sturgeon has shown exemplary leadership, the Westminster Government has lurched from blunder to blunder and the clear gulf in class is clearly not lost on Scottish voters.“It's no surprise the majority of Scots want shot of Boris Johnson and his cabinet of incompetents.”

A message from the Editor:Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.Subscribe to scotsman.com and enjoy unlimited access to Scottish news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.scotsman.com/subscriptions now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Joy Yates

Editorial Director



Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.