Prince Andrew: Duke of York pays financial settlement to Virginia Giuffre in sex assault lawsuit

Prince Andrew agreed a settlement with Virginia Giuffre last month, avoiding a trial in the civil sex assault case

The Duke of York has paid his financial settlement to his accuser Virginia Giuffre, bringing the civil sexual assault case against him almost to a close.

“Stipulation of Dismissal” court documents were filed on Tuesday calling for the legal action to be dismissed.

Ms Giuffre was suing Andrew for sexual abuse, saying he had sex with her when she was 17 and had been trafficked by his friend, the late billionaire paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.

Andrew, who has stepped down from royal duties and public life, claimed he has never met Ms Giuffre, but went on to avert a looming trial by agreeing a settlement last month.

Prince Andrew still retains his Duke of York title

Has public money been used to pay the settlement?

As the order was published, the Treasury confirmed no taxpayer funds were used for the prince’s multi-million pound payment or for his legal fees.

A Freedom of Information request asked whether any money from the Sovereign Grant to the royal family or any other government funded money was used for either the out-of-court payment to Ms Giuffre or for Andrew’s legal costs.

The Treasury’s response said: “No public money has been used to pay legal or settlement fees you refer to.”

The joint order filed with the US District Court Southern District of New York added that each party would pay their own costs and fees.

The legal document from Ms Giuffre and the duke’s legal team read: “Pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 41(a)(1)(A)(ii), and the parties’ settlement agreement dated February 12 2022, Plaintiff Virginia L. Giuffre and Defendant Prince Andrew, Duke of York hereby stipulate to the dismissal of this action, with prejudice.

“Each party to bear her/his own costs and fees.”

Once Judge Lewis Kaplan signs the order, the long-running civil case will come to an official end.

What has Buckingham Palace said?

Andrew has faced calls to confirm how he funded the substantial out-of-court settlement – which is reported to be as much as £12 million – and whether the Queen or even the Prince of Wales contributed to the sum.

The Queen receives £21.7 million a year from the Duchy of Lancaster and is believed to use an unknown amount of this private income to fund Andrew’s royal duties and part of his private life.

This private Duchy income is separate from the taxpayer-funded Sovereign Grant.

The Queen receives the Sovereign Grant to fund her official duties as head of state and to maintain the occupied Royal Palaces.

No member of the royal family receives a private income from the grant or any other public funds.

Buckingham Palace has yet to comment. Clarence House declined to comment as to whether Charles had helped his brother with the payment.

The Queen had already taken steps to distance the royal family from Andrew and protect the monarchy brand.

She stripped him of his honorary military roles in January, with the duke also giving up using his HRH – a style he was born with.

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going. You can also sign up to our email newsletters and get a curated selection of our best reads to your inbox every day.