Classic match: Hearts 0, Hibs 4: Sept 18 1965

SEVERAL hundreds of the 34,000 crowd at Tynecastle for this match must have missed all the scoring.

In an incredible nine minutes, Hibernian popped in four goals before the game was really under way. In the same length of time Willie Wallace had the ball in the net for Hearts at the other end, but was ruled offside.

The crowd were still coming in by the time this flurry had ended – and they could, with some justification, have demanded their money back, for the remainder of the game was ragged.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The scores are worth recording. Hibs had four attacks – and scored four goals. The ball ran right for them, and the Tynecastle defence was covering poorly.

In two minutes, Jimmy O'Rourke, substituting for the injured Neil Martin, took a pass from Peter Cormack, beat Roy Barry and hit the ball calmly into the corner of the net.

Two minutes later Eric Stevenson managed a very soft goal. Pat Quinn crossed, Jim Scott missed completely, and Stevenson mis-hit the ball so gently that it barely had the pace to roll in off the far post.

In seven minutes, O'Rourke, whose 19th birthday this was, scored a beauty. He took a pass from John Baxter and beat Jim Cruickshank, shown above, from all of 25 yards.

A minute later Stevenson dribbled the ball in from the wing and shot. The ball rebounded off Barry and he put the ball in the back of the net from six yards.

That was the end of the game as a contest. Hearts tried hard to get back into the game but their forwards lacked both speed and fight. Willie Wilson made one or two good saves, notably from Wallace, but the Hibs defence was never stretched.

There were a lot of harsh tackles in which Barry and Willie Polland were consistent and unnecessary offenders. Quinn had his name taken by the referee after a retaliation on Tommy Traynor.

Just on half-time, O'Rourke and Robert Ferguson, the Hearts right-back, were taken off after colliding in mid-air. The Hibs forward came back for the second half, but Ferguson was taken to hospital where he had four stitches in a head wound.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Hibs deserved their win but did owe a lot to some extraordinary luck. O'Rourke and wing-half Pat Stanton, the man who would go on to become one of Hibs' greatest players, were their most effective men and Wilson had a good game in goal.

Hearts could take a good deal of credit for not having folded up in the face of the onslaught but, on the evidence of this game, their attack needed fresh blood.

The left-winger, Willie Hamilton, was the only forward to emerge from the game with credit. The full-backs Chris Shevlane and Ferguson (until injured), and the centre-half, Alan Anderson, all did well – after the first ten minutes.

Related topics: