First Division: Fightback puts Falkirk back in race for promotion to the SPL

Falkirk's 2-1 victory at Stark's Park was achieved the hard way as they went behind to an early Raith Rovers goal and then played out the last 20 minutes with only ten men after Brian McLean was dismissed.

Raith had gone in front after ten minutes when Laurie Ellis headed in after an Allan Walker corner was not dealt with by the visiting defence. Unfortunately for the Kirkcaldy men, they could not build on their advantage and Falkirk drew level seven minutes from the break when Jack Compton thumped home a 30-yard drive which flashed high past home goalkeeper David McGurn.

Worse was to follow for Rovers before half-time when Mark Millar sent in a low shot that trundled towards McGurn, however the goalkeeper failed to gather and Mark Stewart touched home the loose ball.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rovers' hopes of getting level received a boost when McLean walked after picking up a second yellow card and John Baird struck the woodwork shortly afterwards. Robert Olejnik saved well from Iain Williamson and Gregory Tade to ensure all three points headed back to The Falkirk Stadium and that his side's promotion push was re-established.

Falkirk manager Steven Pressley said: "We were under pressure but this result keeps things alive and we are back in the title race."

Home manager John McGlynn said, "Any neutral at the game would be wondering how we were behind at half- time. Their second goal was a mistake by our goalkeeper but he has saved us often enough in the past and we will not be too harsh on him."

Dunfermline fell behind to a Chris Erskine goal after 14 minutes at Partick Thistle when he beat the offside trap and shot past Chris Smith. Kris Doolan made it two just before the break after he knocked home a loose ball after Smith had saved an Ian Flannigan effort.

Home goalkeeper Scott Fox stood firm to keep out the East End Park side in the second-half to make it a good week for manager Ian McCall, who had just awarded his two goalscorers and goalkeeper extended contracts at the club.

McCall said: "I will be looking for the board to let me sign another couple of bodies this week. This is a really good result for us as I have said all along the team that finished above Dunfermline will win the league."

Morton are starting to perform under manager Allan Moore and their 2-1 win over Ross County means that they have only tasted defeat once in their last ten games. County, who are having a more troubled time and have only won twice in their last ten games, and not yet under their new boss Willie McStay, took the lead when Steven Craig turned home a Marc Corcoran cut-back seven minutes from half time.

Moore rallied his troops at half-time and new boy Derek Lyle grabbed an equaliser with a fine drive from distance with nearly an hour gone. The winner came eight minutes from time when Michael Tidser took a quick free-kick that Allan Jenkins swept home after being picked out by Peter Weatherson.