Jason Roy has fast become one of England’s most reliable one day batters. The Surrey batter was crucial in England’s World Cup win in 2019 and was proving to be a vital cog in England’s T20 World Cup campaign in 2021.
He has recently announced that he will be taking a short, yet indefinite break from Cricket in order to spend time with his family. Earlier in the year, Roy and his family welcomed their second child
This news comes as the 31-year-old stated he would be pulling out of the Indian Premier League which is due to start on Saturday 26 March 2022.
The English batter has just featured in the Pakistan Super League for Quetta Gladiators, joining the squad after England’s T20I series against the West Indies.
Jason Roy has featured in three IPL tournaments and has a strike rate of 129.91 as well as a high score of 91 not out. Formerly a member of the Sunrisers of Hyderabad, Roy was auctioned by the new franchise Gujarat Titans, captained by Indian bowler Hardik Pandya, for the 2022 season but is now set to miss the biggest limited overs tournament in the world as well as the early weeks of the County championship in order to focus on his game and family.
Roy is once again likely to play a fundamental part of England’s campaign at the 2022 T20 World Cup in Australia during October and November and given his history of injuries at World Cups, will hope to be rested and ready for the tournament at the end of the year.
What did Jason Roy say?
Roy took to instagram and posted:
“Hi everyone, especially the Gujarat Titans fans and squad. It’s with a heavy heart I have decided to pull out of this year’s tournament. I want to thank the management and Captain Hardik for putting your faith in me and picking me in the auction. However with everything going on in the world over the last three years, it’s added up and taken its toll on me.
I feel it’s only right that I spend some quality time with my family. As well as spending time working on myself and my game over the next couple of months leading into a very busy year. I will be following each game of the Titans and backing them to lift the Trophy in their first year of the tournament.
Thank you everyone for the continued support and I hope you can all respect and appreciate my decision.”
What has been said following Roy’s announcement?
The director of Cricket at Surrey, former England captain Alec Stewart said: “Everyone at Surrey is here to support Jason and fully understands his decision to step away from the game for a period of time in order to be with his family.
“When he is ready to return to cricket, we will be here ready to help and prepare him for his upcoming challenges in the game.”
When is England’s next series?
England’s whiteball squad will next feature from 17 June as they take on a three-match ODI series in the Netherlands.
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going. You can also sign up to our newsletters and get a curated selection of our best reads to your inbox every day.