Prince treated for '˜drugs overdose' days before death
The 57-year-old was pronounced dead on Thursday after being found in a lift at his Paisley Park compound outside Minneapolis.
Celebrity gossip website TMZ – which broke the news of the musician’s death – said he had been treated in hospital six days earlier after his private jet made an emergency landing.
• READ MORE: Purple reign: Still the Prince of pop
TMZ said multiple sources had confirmed that Prince had been rushed to hospital where doctors gave him a “save shot” after he overdosed on the painkiller Percocet.
Medics advised the musician to stay in hospital for 24 hours, but he left three hours after arriving and returned home.
Prince’s death came two weeks after he cancelled concerts in Atlanta because he was not feeling well.
During his re-scheduled performance on 14 April, he joked with the audience about having been “under the weather”.
Following news reports that he had fallen ill while returning from Atlanta to Minneapolis, Prince hosted a party on 16 April at his home.
Authorities in Minneapolis yesterday said it could take days or weeks before the public learns the cause of death.
The Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office said it did not plan to release any information until autopsy results were completed.
Tributes continued to be paid to the star yesterday by friends and fellow musicians.
Rolling Stone frontman Mick Jagger tweeted: “Prince was a revolutionary artist, a wonderful musician and composer. His talent was limitless. Prince was one of the most unique and exciting artists of the last 30 years.”
Sir Paul McCartney said: “Saddened by Prince’s death. Proud to have seen in the New Year with him. He seemed fine and played brilliantly funky music.”
Referencing a song from the Purple Rain soundtrack, TV host Oprah Winfrey said: “Prince the doves really are crying now. Listening to your music. Remembering you.”